Remodeling a bathroom can always be an exciting prospect for the owner. It might start off because something has broken down, you simply want to give it a new look or you want to modernize the bathroom and add modern bathroom vanities. Whatever may be the reason, bathroom remodeling definitely brings with it a host of positives.
However, it requires careful planning beforehand and needs the owner to be practical. An idea about the mistakes that can happen during the process can help in minimizing stress and help the owner plan wisely. So let’s take a look at the biggest bathroom remodeling mistakes to avoid in 2023,
1. Lack of Planning – No part of the remodeling should take place before having a thorough and complete plan in place. Firstly you need to identify the specific goals you have and then form your plan accordingly. Everything from the paint, the spacing, the type of vanity, be it contemporary bathroom vanities, white shaker bathroom vanities, or anything else, right down to the style and color of your last tile, should all be planned before the remodeling can even start.
2. Unrealistic Budget – This is where you have to be really practical. You must be honest with yourself about how much you can actually spend on remodeling. Money should only be spent on the materials that you can actually afford. If that means you don’t get those modern bathroom vanity cabinets that you’ve been looking at, then so be it. Otherwise, you might overspend and have no money left for the important parts. A little extra should always be kept aside for surprise expenditures.
3. Unplanned Layout – Decoration should be probably left for later and the layout must be given due importance first. Else you might get overexcited, and plan the whole bathroom around some gorgeous modern bathroom vanities, only to find out you did not think of the fact that it would leave you almost no space or leave you with improper spacing or some other problem. 3D imaging has emerged as the leading tool to help you in this part of the whole process.
4. Choosing Wrong Materials – Bathrooms have to withstand a considerable amount of abuse. High levels of moisture, rapid changes in temperature, heavy usage, etc., there are a huge amount of stressful activities that a bathroom must undergo. So it is always better to review the materials you want to put into your bathroom before buying them. Or those modern bathroom sinks and vanities you bought, might not last for very long.
5. Not committing to a single theme – At the onset of the remodeling process, it is very easy to get overwhelmed with the plethora of choices, when it comes to choosing a theme for the whole bathroom. You can have a variety of options to choose from, like antique-looking copper tubs, stand-up showers, modern bathroom sinks and vanities, rustic chic, etc. However, if you do not decide on one single theme and keep buying materials at random, the bathroom can end up looking like a hodgepodge of different elements, which may look good on their own, but do not fit in well together. The best option is to start a wide search, then slowly narrow it down to one theme which will, in turn, help you choose the materials.
6. Losing Focus – Though it may be very exciting at the start, bathroom remodeling is a lengthy and hard process. So, it is quite natural for a person to lose focus once a considerable amount of time has passed. Even more so, if you had been rushing at the beginning and have burnt out. So always try to maintain a steady pace and keep your patience. If you need some cheering up, just think of how good those brand new white shaker bathroom vanities will look in your remodeled bathroom.
7. Overlooking errors – The whole process of bathroom remodeling is going to be riddled with errors that may look small at the time. A few problems with a particular tile job, a small gap in the modern bathroom vanity cabinets, the spacing between two tiles, etc. can all look like very minor glitches. But the moment any mistake is spotted, you need to make sure that that mistake is positively fixed. Overlooking these errors can lead to these errors later on sticking out at you like a couple of eyesores. Even if other people do not notice, it’s your bathroom, so you always will. So throughout the remodeling process, keep fixing the errors, even the smallest ones.
Remodeling your old bathroom can result in a complete transformation and give it a whole new look. But always remember that the remodeling is going to be a lengthy and taxing process with several unforeseen hindrances. So plan well in advance, be ready for challenges as they come along and finally marvel at your gorgeous “new” bathroom.